Who invented Sheetrock is kind of a trick question, because Sheetrock® is really a product brand invented by United States Gypsum Company, and patented in 1917. However, Augustine Sackett is recognized as the the actual inventor of gypsum board (drywall) in 1894.
- 1894 Austine Sackett is credited with inventing gypsum board (drywall).
- 1902 The United States Gypsum Company (USGC) is formed.
- 1909 USGC purchases the Sackett Plaster Board company
- 1917 USGC patents Sheetrock® brand
- 1925 Cloth mesh tape for concealing joints
- 1953 Sheetrock® Ready-Mixed joint compound
As you can imagine the there’s been quite a transformation from the drywall invented in 1894, which was sheets 36″ x 36″ in size and 1/4″ thick, to the plethora of lengths and thicknesses available today.